Situated on the high, steep bank of the river Kamenka, the Savior Monastery of St. Euthymius is a strong citadel and, in some way, it looks more like the Suzdal Kremlin.
The monastery was founded in 1352. At first, as the Suzdal Kremlin, the monastery had only wooden fortifications. But later the wooden fortifications were replaced by the strong stone walls and towers.
Originally, it was called the Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Savior. The main church of the monastery was also called in honor of this religious feast. But later the monastery was renamed in honor of its first hegumen, Euthymius of Suzdal.
The length of the strong stone walls of the monastery erected during 1670-80 is 1200 meters. All walls and 12 towers of the Savior Monastery of St. Euthymius had embrasures or gun-ports, which made it one of the strongest fortresses in the Central Russia. The height of the Proyezdnaya (Entrance) Tower is 22 meters.
The earliest structures didn’t survive at the monastery. Now the Savior church is considered the earliest structure of the monastery. It was erected above the grave of St. Euthymius of Suzdal in 1507. Then it was added to the larger Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior, which was finished by the end of the XVI century.
The later buildings of the Savior Monastery of St. Euthymius are at least as beautiful: the Bell Tower, the Refectory Church of Dormition or Assumption, the Hospital Church of St. Nicholas and the brethren`s buildings. Near the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Savior is the family burial vault of the Pozharsky princes.