The Stone Bridge in Kaluga is a well-known landmark of the city. It was built in 1785. Some sources say that the Stone Bridge of Kaluga is the oldest viaduct in Russia, but this statement is debatable. In many cities of Russia, older bridges have been preserved, however, the appearance of the Kaluga bridge is unique for Russia. 

The Stone Bridge in Kaluga is very similar to the Roman aqueduct. It was built by architect Peter Nikitin over the Berezuisky ravine. Similar designs of viaducts and aqueducts in ancient Rome appeared in the 3rd century BC. The arches of ordinary bridges over rivers and streams have one level, while the Romans built aqueducts with two or even three levels of arches. 

Once Kaluga was divided into two parts. The Kaluga Kremlin was located on the high bank of the Oka River and the Berezuisky ravine. The deep 160-meter Berezuisky ravine divided the city into two parts: the Historical Center and the Far End. The ravine had to be bypassed along the top, so the area of the city behind the ravine was called “The Far End”. It was a poor area where artisans settled. There is preserved the Cathedral of St. George in Far End. A Stone Bridge over the Berezuisky ravine connected two separated districts of Kaluga. 

The length of the Stone Bridge reaches 160 meters. The bridge rests on 15 stone arches, and the three central arches are made in two levels. Previously, a stream flowed along the bottom of the Berezuysky ravine, but now it has dried up. The width of the Stone Bridge is 20 meters. This made it possible to make not only a roadway on the bridge, but also to build 28 stone shops for trade on both sides. The shops were later demolished and the roadway widened for two-way traffic. 

In 1910, the roadbed of the Stone Bridge in Kaluga was reinforced with concrete. In this form, it stood for almost a century. The next renovation was done in 2009. The historical appearance of the Stone Bridge is completely preserved, as it has become a landmark of Kaluga. 

There are other sights of the city near the Stone Bridge. In 1785, after the completion of the construction of the Stone Bridge, an obelisk was erected nearby in honor of the founding of Kaluga. This place was the eastern wall of the wooden Kaluga Kremlin. Now the Central Park of Kaluga is laid out here. Near the obelisk there is a small Pushkin Garden, the Intercession Church and the Taneyev Concert Hall. The beautiful building of the Concert Hall looks like a classic 19th century mansion, but it was built in 1950.