Rostov State Musical Theatre is opposite the Pokrovsky public garden on Bolshaya Sadovaya Street. It is one of the largest theatres in the south of Russia. This theatre appeared already in 1919 but for a long time the troupe hadn’t their own building.
It was given the status of a state theatre by the 30th of the past century. In 1977 the entire quarter opposite the Pokrovsky public garden was cleared for the building of the musical theatre. The project of L. Labak, G. Dudkov and V. Khafizov was chosen. They offered to simulate the building as a white piano with raised lid.