The Cathedral of the Nativity of St John the Baptist, one of the most ancient temples of Pskov, is just opposite the Varlaam tower on the opposite bank of the Velikaya river. Formerly, it was the main church of the Convent of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist.
The female monastery was established in 1240 by Princess Euphrosyne of Pskov, an aunt of Prince Dovmont of Pskov. Under the name of Eupraxia she became the first hegumeness of the convent and was also buried there.
Scientists used to have discussions about the date of construction of the Cathedral of the Nativity of John the Baptist. The chronicles mention it for the first time in 1243, when a monastery was formed around the temple. However, studies have shown that the Cathedral of the Nativity of John the Baptist was built in the period from 1137-1150. During the construction of the cathedral, a plinth was used, which was also used in the construction of Novgorod temples in the first half of the 12th century.
It was erected by Novgorod builders, so you are sure to discern in it the features of the Sophia of Novgorod. For a long time the cathedral was the burial vault of Pskov princesses. The governors of the city had also been buried there since 19 century. Princess Maria, a wife of Prince Dovmont of Pskov and a granddaughter of Alexander Nevsky, was also buried at the cathedral in 13 century.
The convent was outside the city walls, so it was repeatedly ruined during the enemy raids. However, it retained its rich and privileged position thanks to monarchic and boyar donations. For example, Grand Prince of Moscow Vasily III granted the Nesudimaya Chart to the convent in 1510. In our days there re-mained no buildings of the Convent of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, excepting the Cathedral of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist.