The Monastery of the Theotokos of Iveron is on the high bank of the Volga, right above the old buildings of the Zhiguli Brewery. Its red brick churches and a bell tower formed the recognizable image of Samara as viewed from the Volga.
Since the time Samara was founded in 18 century, there was the Transfiguration Monastery in the city. It was closed under Catherine II but in 19 century it was decided to restore the monastery. With the donations of wealthy citizens, the monastery was founded in 1850 on the outskirts of Samara, behind the Strukovsky Garden.
The rich merchantress Marikhina donated to the monastery the ancient Iveron icon of the Mother of God and in its honor the monastery was given its name. Just after the monastery was founded, they began to build the cold Church of the Meeting of the Lord and the warm Iveron Cathedral. It was there that the Samara flag was created. It became a symbol of the struggle for the independence of Bulgaria where it is stored now.
Alas, the main churches of the Iveron Monastery were destroyed in the 30s but even now it is interesting to visit the monastery with its many smaller churches. In 2013, the 60-meter bell tower was restored. The monastery was returned the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God, thanks to which it got its name.